Saturday, June 14, 2008

Giddy About Boston Sports

With the Celtics poised to take home the NBA Championship, I couldn't help but get a little giddy about the successes of my Boston sports teams over the last 12 months!  I may be living on the Left Coast, but by birthright, I am a Bostonian (of course, if I say this too loudly in Maine, where I spent much of my youth, I'll forever be cast as "From Away").  

It all began last October when the Sox clinched the World Series for the second time in a few years!  I have to admit that the 2004 victory brought tears to my eyes, sitting alone in my house at the time, with not a proper sports bar in sight for 50 miles.  It was quite a moment.  I would get high fives from other Sox fans whenever I wore my hat after that.  In 2007, it was a little less spectacular, but no less of an achievement.  Perhaps absence does make the heart grow fonder, which is why the '04 victories were so darn cool.  And currently at the top of the AL East, with some fine youngsters making quality contributions, they may, once again, find themselves in the playoffs.

With the World Series wrapped up, the Patriots marched their way to the Super Bowl...okay, there were some allegations of less-than-sportsman-like spying, but I don't know enough to make a statement one way or another.  And in general, despite loving the games, I abhor the business and payroll of professional sports--talk about disproportionate!  At any rate, the Patriots had their Super Bowl showing, and though not victorious, they made it there.

With that showdown done-for, the Celtics were at the top of their game, playing .600+ basketball and seeming like they finally had it together after several, uh, less than spectacular years.  With some dicey moments in the earlier play-off rounds, the Celts had an amazing come-back victory over their long-standing rivals, and it seems like the momentum is with them to hold yet another Duck Boat Rally along the streets of Boston!

Lest I forget the Bruins--they made the playoffs but could probably use a little improvement.

For now, it's good to be a Boston fan!

No comments: