Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Long Line of Anal Retentive Shovelers

I was thrilled to be in the middle of some snowy weather on my trip! I even got to go sledding. Of course, this also meant I was additional shoveling labor for those I was staying with. My first stop had lots of snow and people who were too busy to really fret about it. They have a big tractor too, and I suppose that can solve pretty much all snow problems in rapid fashion. Next stop saw a dusting turn to 6" which required some maintenance of the walkways and unplowed areas. Getting the snow off was the name of the game and I was laughed at for trying to get the driveway clear to the pavement...it was then that I realized I was pulling a Dad.

Well, my final stop taught me that shoveling perfection is not only one generation deep--instead, I come from a long line of anal retentive shovelers! As the snow turned to wintry mix (my least favorite New England concoction), I periodically broke away from the Patriots game to clear the porches and sidewalk. No problem. A short time later, wintry mix turned to rain and made the snow impossibly heavy to move. The trouble was, I could not be outdone by my octogenarian Babci who had decided she needed some fresh air. So, shovel to the pavement I did, until I was soaked and my biceps were about to pop. The best part was that Babci was out there in her high heeled fashion snow boots--the least functional winter footwear I could imagine--and she seemed to be enjoying herself!


No comments: