Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Calm Amidst the Storm

If you're on the eastern seaboard and have a pulse, you probably know that we're getting battered by a nice nor'easter here in Chesapeake Bay--winds gusting in the 50s, tides many feet above normal, power flickering intermittently, and those trees we probably should have cut down living dangerously and threatening us with every gust.

I have been keeping a keen eye on the NOAA tidal predictions/observations and laughed out loud when I received an e-mail stating that "Today's seminar about rising sea levels has been cancelled due to rising sea levels." If inquiring minds want to know, the real-time data can be found here or here.


But, despite the turmoil outdoors, I decided to crank the heat and hunker down to do some reading and just lay low. It is actually quite peaceful and for the first time in many weeks I don't feel like a chicken with its head cut off! In addition, I actually have some time to pack the remaining items for Panama and make sure I practice those few key Spanish phrases that may prevent humiliation...or at least interrupted travel plans!

No comments: