Monday, October 27, 2008

Bad-Ass Arachnid


I've been spending the last month or so watching this amazing spider build and re-build its web outside of a kitchen window. Given the perfect position of the web, my family members and I have been able to watch this thing in action for days on end...savage amusement. It is very cool to see how the spider intricately re-creates the web and the stabilimentum that zig-zag across it. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like the yellow garden spider, Argiope aurantia, in the link above.

Yellow garden spider

Order: Araneae
Family: Araneidae
Genus and species: Argiope aurantia Lucas

Incidentally, I just checked The Other 95% for the first time in a few days and Eric did a post on a similar orb weaver...albeit one that's maybe a bit more nefarious than this dude (dudette?), who seems to dine mostly on midges and the like.



No comments: